Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Landline by Rainbow Rowell | Book Review

Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Published on July 8, 2014
Genre: Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 310
__________________________________________________

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.


Maybe that was always beside the point.


Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.


When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.


That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...


Is that what she’s supposed to do?


Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

__________________________________________________


Landline was the second book by Rowell that I've read (Fangirl being the first), and while I've enjoyed them, they haven't completely blown me away. What I love about Rowell is she definitely knows how to write her characters and make them enjoyable. None of the "I'm thin, blonde and tall so I'm lanky, mousy and an Amazon" bull shit that you see in most novels. Everyone was flawed, but perfectly so. Georgie aggravated the crap out of me most of the book, yet I still hung on because I was so attached to her and Neal's story. 

I think I might be in the minority here by saying I freaking LOVED Neal. He's so faithful and loving to Georgie and their girls, Alice and Noomi. I even loved when we met younger, smart ass, loner Neal. Their romance was just so imperfectly perfect and it just made me so happy when I would read about it. 

Seth, though..... egotistical douche bag. Do I need to say more? He was only good for a couple of laughs, but other than that. Eh. 

I feel like one of the main reasons why I didn't completely fall in love with this book was because the story line just got really repetitive. Georgie would go through the same motions day after day, not trying to do anything to fix them, knowing that what she's doing is wrong. I guess that can play into the fact that she is flawed, however reading almost the same scenes over and over got a little boring for me. I just wish something happened more in the middle of the book rather the same wake up-go to work-wait by the phone-don't shower or eat all day-repeat. I understand that she's upset and maybe even slightly depressed with what's currently going on in her life, but there could have been just a LITTLE more umph in there for me to keep me interested in the story as a whole. 

Over all, I did enjoy the book and I'll absolutely be picking up more of Rowell's novels in the future. Landline just fell slightly flat for me. The end felt a bit anti-climatic for me.


__________________________________________________

3/5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment